Nearly 200 people came out Sat., Aug. 25, for the Baltimore Youth Advocate Programs (YAP) Inc. annual Resource Fair. Among them was Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh, who helped welcome and mingled with guests from the Cumberland and Carey Park neighborhood, where the event took place this year. Baltimore YAP hosts the event just before the start of the school year to let families know about community resources available to them in their neighborhood.
YAP provided free back-to-school backpacks while its partner organizations shared free samples of organic vegetables from a neighborhood garden, health care and wellness testing and tips, information on how to get help paying utility bills and other support services. Spiritual support services were also on hand, including local churches and members of the Nation of Islam, who also provided event security. The event included local musicians, a 3-on-3 basketball tournament, face painting and entertainment from local marching bands and dance squads. Baltimore YAP invited neighborhood ice cream and barbecue vendors to ensure that guests enjoyed free refreshments.
Since 2006, Baltimore YAP has partnered with the Department of Juvenile Services, Department of Social Services, serving as an alternative to youth prison and other away-from-home confinement. Baltimore YAP serves more than 150 youth and families every year. In addition to diverting youth from entering away-from-home detention or treatment, Baltimore YAP reduces delinquency charges and recidivism and provides psychiatric rehabilitation programs. YAP’s Baltimore programs align with the four-decades-old effective YAP wraparound model, providing individual mentoring; empowering families by connecting them with toolkits and other supports to strengthen their foundation; and helping all who YAP serves identify ways they can offer their gifts and talents to give back to our communities.
Baltimore YAP thanks its volunteers, staff, sponsors, vendors, partner organizations, friends and everyone who attended for making the event a success!
- Amerigroup Community Care
- Baltimore City Residents and Community Partners
- Baltimore City Health Department (BCHD)
- Baltimore City Fire Department (BCFD)
- Baltimore City Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Baltimore Hair Designs
- Baltimore City Recreation & Parks
- Beautiful Hearts & Minds Health Services, LLC.
- Baltimore Youth Lacrosse League
- Brightwood College
- Christian Warriors Marching Band
- Community Asthma Program
- Department of Public Works (DPW)
- D.J. Onna (Bandage Heart)
- Enoch Pratt Library
- Family Protection Executive Security, LLC.
- Heart smiles, LLC.
- Intersection of Change/ S2L2
- Keeping it Safe & Smart (K.I.S.S.)
- University of Maryland-Midtown Campus
- Maryland Physicians Care
- Maryland Phlebotomist
- MECU of Baltimore
- Nestle Waters
- Paint 4the People
- Simmons Memorial Baptist Church
- Strength 2 love 2 (Community Farm)
- The Baltimore Headliners Marching Unit
- The Professional Credit Diva
- University of Maryland Midtown Campus
- Youth Advocate Programs Staff, Youth & Families